Monday, November 16, 2009

"2012" and "A Christmas Carol" Top the Box Office

This weekend’s box office results are in, and by and large, there aren’t any big shockers. According to Hollywood.com, “2012” ruled the box office opening at $65 Million, with “A Christmas Carol” bringing up second at 22.3 Million. The Michael Jackson tribute, “This is It”, came in fifth this week, adding $5.1 Million to its total. The Michael Jackson documentary overtook "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert" as the highest grossing music documentary of all-time with a total of $67.2 Million.

“A Christmas Carol” shouldn’t surprise me by its’ box office appeal, but yet in some ways it still does. After two weekends the film is at $63.3 Million. I’m sure that is somewhere in the ballpark of what Walt Disney was hoping for. During their second weekend, big movies can expect to drop by as much as 50% at the box office. “A Christmas Carol” dropped only about half that much and looks like it will pack quite a punch at the box office for the holiday season. I think the remake was a great idea, and I am one of the many looking forward to watching it. So why am I a little surprised by its’ success? “A Christmas Carol” is plain and simple a Christmas movie. I know kids can often be in rush to watch a movie and let’s be honest, there isn’t exactly any competition at the box office for children to go see, but I repeat it is a Christmas movie.

I know Thanksgiving is almost here and therefore, Christmas is at its heels. I know this means that except for the few exceptions that everybody is going to be in a mad rash attempting to get the Christmas shopping done even on Christmas Eve itself, but I can’t be the only one. I can’t be the exception to the rule with my Christmas movie watching, can I? Aren’t Christmas movies that much more fun to watch when it is closer to Christmas? I know there are plenty of movies to watch but “A Christmas Carol” is the only true Christmas movie coming to the theaters this season.

I just find it curious that more people don’t wait until December or even right after Thanksgiving to watch this movie. The time when you can fully become engulfed in the Christmas spirit because it’s the next big holiday and there might even be a bit of snow on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment