Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review: Couples Retreat (2009) Starring Vince Vaughn, Kristen Bell and Jon Favreau

Men I ask you this, is it still paradise if you have to talk about your feelings while you’re there?

I will be the first to admit, that I didn’t have anywhere near high hopes for Vince Vaughn’s latest movie at the theaters The bar was probably set so low that Faizon Love could’ve high jumped over it. Don’t worry Faizon, I’m right there with you buddy. I did not even read one critic’s review on the movie to get this lower standard of enthusiasm. Then again, does any normal or even abnormal person for that matter put any grain into what the critics say about a movie? I mean I really wonder if some of these guys woke up on the same planet as you or me. However, I will leave that discussion for a different day. The point is every time I watched a preview of Couples Retreat; I would just say to myself there is a movie that could’ve been really funny. There is just something about the preview that made me feel like they would try way too hard and completely miss the boat.

I’m a very stubborn person but for the most part I will admit I was wrong about Couples Retreat. Is it the greatest comedy of all-time? Not even semi-close, but it is still a pretty decent laugh. It will not make anybody start saying you know that guy from Couples Retreat, when somebody tries to mention Vince Vaughn. He will still safely be remembered for Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball and Old School. Couples Retreat teams Vince Vaughn up with buddies Jon Favreau, Faizon Love and Jason Bateman. For all you guys, this movie is loaded with three main beauties Malin Akerman, Kristen Bell and Kristin Davis. Couples Retreat is a movie about three sets of couples that are friends and their recently divorced buddy. To help save their marriage one couple talks the rest into going on a vacation to Eden West. Even their big divorced buddy, Faizon Love finds a boo to bring on the trip. Unfortunately for the other couples, they find out Eden West is not what they meant to sign up for. This would be right around where the plot starts to thin out. My biggest problem with this movie is I just didn’t like how awkwardly pushed together the ending seemed. The reason I still like the movie is pretty simple. It’s pretty darn funny. Even when the plot starts to thin out the laughs keep coming. I thought most of the dialogue was pretty funny.

I kept waiting for the movie to try way too hard at being funny and just become corny but it didn’t seem to happen. As for when the movie tried to be serious, well that is a little bit different. Couples Retreat is funny, and yes it has a serious message behind it, but I wish they would’ve not tried to slow down the movie at certain points to get that across. Let’s be honest; this is a slapstick comedy; it doesn’t need much moral to the story. Just make us laugh! It’s a funny movie, I’m just not sure it has the rewatchability factors of Vince Vaughan’s best movies. I will give Couples Retreat a 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment