Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Could You Imagine Will Ferrell or John C. Reilly Being Your Step Brother?


I imagine most of you said that would be awesome. That wasn't quite the reaction we get from Will and John's characters in this movie and who can blame them. It means having to share the spotlight. Step Brothers is a 2008 film scribed by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. They had teamed up in the past on Anchorman and one of my favorite Will Ferrell movies, Talladega Nights.

The movie's plot is as simple as they come. Brennen Huff (Ferrell) is an unemployed 39 year old that still lives at home with his mother and loves every minute of living like he is 16 on a permanent summer vacation. Dale Doback (Reilly) is an unemployed 40 year old still mooching off his doctor father. Their parents fall in love and Brennen and Dale become stepbrothers. Neither of them is even close to okay with this idea and start off mortal enemies. Which of course, they later overcome to become best friends.

Now I love slapstick comedies but even those have to have some plot to them to keep me intrigued and as one can tell from that description there isn't much here to work with. However, I thought the movie was pretty good. Why this change in attitude? Although the plot lacks most of the slapstick humor hits squarely on the funny bone. Dale stays at home because he dropped out of college to join the family business. His dad is a doctor! My favorite quote of the movie has to be "right now,I don't want to kick you in the head quite as much.” After all this talk of Ferrell and Reilly I would feel I wronged her if I didn't mention Mary Steenburgen, the actress that played the mother, Nancy Huff. The second the movie started I was like there is no way she looks old enough to play a mother of a 39 year old. Well something to keep in mind while watching this film is Steenburgen was 45 years old when this movie filmed. I couldn't believe she was over 45.

I should warn everybody that this movie has an absolutely ridiculous amount of swearing in it and it has Will Ferrell who we all know doesn't like to keep his clothes on. Not that he would do anything sick like rub his testacles on a drum set or anything. Will Ferrell fans will love it and of course his haters will want to poke their eyes out. Overall, I would give this movie a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment